Changes to income tax thresholds
The Chancellor, Alistair Darling has announced that the basic rate personal tax allowance is to rise by £600 to £6,035.
The move has been designed to compensate taxpayers who have been hit by the scrapping of the 10p income tax starting rate.
As a result of the change, basic rate taxpayers will save £120 annually.
The increase in the allowance is to be backdated to 6 April. Basic rate taxpayers will receive a £60 lump sum in September to be followed by £10 a month for the rest of the year.
The Chancellor also said that the allowance for higher rate taxpayers is to change.
The higher rate threshold will be reduced by £1,200 from £36,000 to £34,800. The higher rate band will now start at £40,835.
The move, the government estimates, will compensate 4.2 million households with as much as or more than they forfeited when the 10p rate was abolished.
In his statement to the House of Commons, the Chancellor said: “The remaining 1.1 million households will see their loss at least halved. In other words, 80 per cent of households are fully compensated, with the remaining 20 per cent compensated by at least half. And in addition, 600,000 people on low incomes will be taken out of income tax altogether.”
There have already been a number of changes to both the business and personal tax regimes recently. More may be coming.
With the slowdown in economic growth and the impact of the "credit crunch" taking effect, a review of your financial and tax planning is important. Proper tax and financial planning can lower and defer the tax you pay, freeing up cash for investment, business or personal purposes.
Of course, making sense of your planning and your finances requires more time and effort than ever in today’s constantly developing economic environment, with its ever-changing tax laws and the wide range of financial products and solutions available.
We, however, can offer you the professional guidance and advice you need to plan for your immediate future as well as for the medium and the long term.
If you would like to find out how we can help you, simply contact us.